DS-UCTB - 10 bay drive enclosure - Powering Off

• Hi,

When the computer is turned off does this unit completly turn off without the need to switch it off at the back? ie. all the fans go off?

Is there a video online anywhere showing the fan noise?

Thanks

Richard

• @Richard Hanks The unit should sleep with system sleep or shutdown. The fan is relatively quiet, I'm not sure if this has been measured in review. NASCompares has a good video review but there are others. I have sent along a request to see if I can get precise dB values.

• The reason i asked was because i bought the similar item sold by your competitor over in Germany and was dissapointed by it not auto shutting down. The drives and fan shut down but the power supply fan doesn't so i have to get under my desk every day and turn the thing on and off. Quite a disappointment. The fans were also very noisy. So it's a shame i can't see video evidence of how your's operates as it leaves me unconviced it will be different - though you do have a different power/fan arrangement on yours. I'd seen NASCompares. An informative review of the box, but unfortunately he doesn't turn it on.. thinking of sending this one back and buying yours but don't want to be similarly dissapointed.

• @Richard Hanks "When the host machine sleeps or powers off, the fans and HDDs in the 10-bay enclosure sleep and go silent" is the reply I received. I do not think I can get an in-operation recording, but I will see if there are dB ratings from the factory.

• I bought one and indeed shutting down the PC turns the drives and fans off. The operating level of the fans are also fine - barely noticeable. The box is also smaller than the other one i was talking about. All round a nice product (if a bit pricey). Thanks.

• @Richard Hanks Thank you for the feedback. Glad it works for you!

• I own the 5 bay and the 10 bay units, both run on the same linux box.  When the server is shutdown, the 5 bay will turn the fan off, and the leds go on the front of the unit will turn red, and for the 10 bay, the lights remain blue and both fans continue to run.  This was not the behavior I was expecting. @Sabrent when can I expect a fix for this? 

• @t sornin To clarify, the issue is with the 10-bay remaining active? I will have to report this for testing.

• We tested this and were able to reproduce, although it works normally with Windows and macOS. This may be related to OS + your motherboard's UEFI USB power management settings and are investigating. So far, we noted in testing that USB 2.0 ports enable the unit to shut down with the Linux host. 

• First of all, thank you for taking the steps to reproduce and acknowledge this issue.  My only comment, if not clear in my initial post, regarding the statement, "This may be related to OS + your motherboard's UEFI USB power management settings", is that both units are running on the same server (same motherboard, same OS, and same UEFI USB power management settings.) The unit's USB ports are USB 3.2 Gen 2.  During my own testing the ports were swapped (the 10-bay unit was connected to the 5-bay's port and vice versa), with the same outcome.  I hope this helps.

• After disabling USB in the UEFI power management settings, the following behavior is observed:

• 5-bay Unit - all leds turn red, fans are turned off
    • 10-bay Unit - all leds are turned off, fans are turned off.

The problem with this approach is that without the USB UEFI enabled, USB events will fail.

Ideally, the unit should work as the 5-bay unit, where the unit shuts down, and keeps the USB ports powered. Please let me know when we can expect a firmware update/fix for this.

• @t sornin We may test this, this week, after the long weekend. I need to verify the chipsets in both models and see if there's an alternative workaround or if we can source appropriate firmware.