What do I need to backup my hard drive?

• I have a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA 2.5" & 3.5" Dual Bay Hard Drive Docking Station that was given to me for Christmas.  Obviously, someone thought I knew what I was doing.  What kind of external hard drive do I need to purchase to back up my current hard drive?

• @noniestager You would be purchasing a regular, internal HDD. Your current HDD could go into one bay and the new HDD the other so you can clone the original drive. This is not the only possible application of the docking station, however.

• Do I have to take my current harddrive out of my PC or can I just back it up from the laptop and backup to any 3D SSD?  Remember, I am a rookie...not like the other guys.  I am just afraid my hard drive is dying!  Moreover, if I have to buy another harddrive, what do I purchase?  Yes, your worst nightmare is me as a rookie!

• @noniestager The unit can attach to a computer for traditional data transfers via USB. Check out software like Macrium Reflect Free, Clonezilla, or anything along those lines, for a full backup, although you can copy specific files manually. We do not sell HDDs, only SSDs and internally, NVMe SSDs. PCPartPicker.com may be useful in finding the right HDD which depends on your requirements.