Sabrent 10 Bay Enclosure Realworld Speeds?

• Hi,

So i have a mega fast Samsung 990 Pro m.2 drive on my motherboard and i'm copying a 10 GB file from it to another Samsung SSD connected to sata on my motherboard and it copies to it at 460 MB/s. When i put the Samsung SSD inside my Sabrent 10 bay enclosure (DS-UCTB) and copy to it there, it copies at only 340 MB/s (whether using the USB-C or USB-A cable). My computer has the gigabyte z170x gaming 7 motherboard that boasts USB 3.1 and indeed i have the intel USB 3.1 eXtensible host controller in device manager, and the Sabrent enclosure is using it according to usb device tree viewer. So i guess i'm wondering what realworld data transfer speeds this unit can handle? Or alternatively, any idea what is limiting my speed?

Thanks

Richard

usbtreeviewer

• @Richard Hanks The unit is capable of hitting up to USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 speeds, or 10Gbps. This is shown as 3.1 Gen 2 on the Tree Viewer for the device. If it and/or the port is operating at USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 speeds, or USB 3.1 Gen 1, or USB3.0, the maximum is 5Gbps. Encoding here is 8b/10b which reduces the maximum bandwidth by another 20%. There is then 10% or more overhead which can reduce it further.

The manual does say "USB 3.1" without speed listed for the Red Type-A port and for the USB-C port. A driver should only be required for Windows 7.

• Okay. Thanks. That would mean it should still be able to do 450 MB/s writes. I actually tested it on a newer machine with USB 3.10 host controller (whatever that is) and it copied over at 420 MB/s so either i just need it on a more recent controller/driver or there is just a fair bit more overhead if you have multiple drives connected (i only had one drive connected in my last test compared to 10 normally). 

• @Richard Hanks Hello, we're back from the weekend. USB can have more overhead or it could be a limitation of the setup/driver. Also, transferring at maximum speed may require more than one thread.