EC-SNVE Appears as SCSI Device

• Trying to help a friend. His EC-SNVE drive appears on his computer as a SCSI device. His backup software works okay, but the recovery environment (for restoring his boot drive) does not support SCSI. Need drivers. Can you help?

• @D Max Williams I have passed this on for review. I can tell you that USB bridge chips are reported as SCSI as they operate with UASP: USB Attached SCSI Protocol. There should be no issue with this, but be sure to use a CPU-attached USB port if possible. The bridge chip also supports BOT.

• @Sabrent We are using a CPU-attached USB C port to connect the Sabrent EC-SNVE. The issue is that we are trying to use a ShadowProtect SPX recovery environment (Win PE based) which starts from a second USB drive. The recovery environment allows us to add drivers. Therefore, we need the inf file and driver files for the Sabrent EC-SNVE UASP, so the recovery environment can "see" the Sabrent EC-SNVE device. I assume Win 10 has the inf file and driver files which we could copy to the recovery environment USB, but we don't know where to find them or what they are named.

• @D Max Williams You may try to ask on the ShadowProtect forums. The PE should support that out of the box. Microsoft's driver for UASP, USB Attached SCSI, is uaspstor.sys. The drive itself will use some standard storage drivers. It's possible older Windows versions had drivers in addition to uaspstor.sys, but that is the one for UASP. The EC-SNVE should be using the RTL9210B bridge chip which may have a firmware update, and it can handle both NVMe and SATA drives.

As for USB port choice: if there are any USB 2.0 ports, try those.

• The bridge chip also supports BOT

If we need to use BOT, how do we get the drive to operate in that mode?

• @D Max Williams I believe that forcing it through the registry is non-trivial. You basically plug in the enclosure and identify it as a specific USB device in the registry then change some values to have it use USBSTOR instead of the UASP driver. Unfortunately the tutorial for that is in Chinese, although it could be translated.

It's possible to disable the UASP service as well, but that would probably not be sufficient as disabling UASP will probably not force the device to work with BOT.

• @Sabrent I'm comfortable modifying the registry if you can provide the instructions, e.g., what keys to modify.

• @D Max Williams You can find it at the link in my reply just above, the clickable "tutorial" word. You can translate the page with Google/Chrome. It's not for your specific issue but essentially forces BOT by changing the device descriptor. I have not tested this for enclosures so it is at your own risk and may not work. There may be other or similar workarounds for that but they will be similarly complex.