USB 3.0 to SATA External Hard Drive Docking Station

• Hi,

I purchased the EC-DFLT as I had managed to remove a hard disk from a 10 year old iMac that had been screen damaged during transit and we are hoping that there will be lots of picture of our twins on there from when they were young babies and children.

I am a bit of a tech newbie with stuff like this although I have managed to install the Acronis software on my Windows pc and hook it all up together

What is the best course of action to follow for me to be able to browse the hard disk drive and look for old pictures of the twins?

Is there a way to just copy the directory structure over to a usb disk and then browse that from my pc?

Thanks in advance

JD

• @Jeff Dovey The iMac likely uses a different filesystem than what is normally compatible with Windows and other operating systems. If so, you might have to do a bit more work under Windows or bootable Linux. Bootable linux would require a USB flash drive but offers some flexibility. I do recommend cloning or imaging the entire drive first so you have a backup copy just in case. If the HDD is using HFS/HFS+ you will require third-party software on Windows. If the data on the drive is intact this would be HFS+ for Windows, HFSExplorer, and other software like this. If recovery is needed then it's more like Disk Drill. Linux also has options but it's more complicated for beginners.