Intermittent loss of NVME drive in windows 11.

• I'm currently coming up with a new issue that is as follow.

For context, all 3 NVME drives are Sabrent rockets Q4 2TB QLC versions, Motherboard is a Gigabyte Aurous master x570 chipset. Running windows 11 fully updated, NVME firmware is the latest version, All drivers are up to date. Sabrent control center stats drive are in 100% perfect health.

On occasion, windows will suddenly be unable to access one or more of my NVME's, Either drive D: or E: 

This usually happens quite some hours after being turned on. with no real decernable pattern.

In the latest occurance my D: drive became unaccessable, windows would say the device is nolonger available, The event viewer would should up an error in stornvme stating driver detects an error on raidport 3 which is drive D:

I would normaly restart and the drive would return, but it's not always the case as in this instance the D: drive just disappeared for about 3-4 restarts.

I've check in the bios on every restart I did, All 3 drives are detected each time and pass all smart self-tests.

I've had this occure 3 times so far.

First occurance was 26/11/2023 Drive D: became unaccessable, a restart fixed the issue.

Second occurance was 27/11/2023 Drive E: became unaccessable, I had to fully power down my PC to get it to return this time.

Third occurance was 10/12/2023, Drive D: became unaccessable and failed to return for 2 further restarts for a total of 3 error event.

Any guesses as to whats going on? 

• @Ben Swinburn It's unlikely that multiple drives would go bad around the same time, although it does happen. Also make sure the BIOS/UEFI is updated in case of any compatibility issues. This could be a power issue, which would hinge on power options like sleep, hibernate, and fast reboot. In that case, the drives may not be reawakening properly. This could include UEFI or Windows power settings. It could also be a hardware issue elsewhere in the system, such as with power delivery. Software issues, such as an update, corruption, or AV/malware scanning could also be interfering with drive operation. When restoring drive access, instead of restarting the system turn it off and then flip the PSU switch twice with a delay or unplug/replug the PSU to see if the UEFI picks up the drive more quickly than multiple reboots.

• @Sabrent At present, I'm thinking it's a PSU issue, although my HX1000i reports it's voltages are fine, my motherboard says otherwise, 3.3V running at 3V, 5V running at 4.8V doesn't seem right. and with it being a 10 year old PSU, I'm going to go with replacing that as my first step to hopefully sorting this.

It's also likely the motherboard could already be damaged as a result as well but we'll see.

• @Ben Swinburn You should check for voltage drops under load. M.2 SSDs use 3.3V with usually a tolerance of ±5%. Good PSUs will last a long time and the best often have warranties up to seven years, but ten years is usually the limit for that. When PSUs go bad it's often over time, recognizable by issues like sudden shutdowns/restarts, instability in games, things of that nature. This can cause data corruption which can bring on other, related issues. Usually the motherboard will be okay unless the event is more extreme.