Rocket 4 Plus G (SB-RKTB-4TB) Performance Issues

• I'm having some serious issues with my new 4TB Rocket 4 Plus G (SB-RKTB-4TB). When doing things as simple as opening Chrome or Windows Explorer I/O operations seem to halt causing lockups and freezing that can last up to 5 minutes. This seems to be more related to Random I/O rather than Sequential I/O operations, but I can't tell for certain.

The issue is frequent and bad enough that I'm considering returning the drive, but I'm wondering if there is a firmware update already available that I can test with.

• @Ryan Haver If possible, try the drive in a different machine or M.2 slot. Alternatively boot from another drive and see if this drive functions properly as a secondary drive or if the system works fine without it installed. This assuming you have ruled out other hardware, of course. The drive may have details in SMART. A failure is unlikely but not impossible, depending on conditions of installation.

• @Ryan Haver  

Could you detail more about your setup and how the drive and data are being accessed physically? Plugged into an adapter? Into an M.2 slot on the motherboard? Etc.?

This sounds like a Windows or file system/data corruption issue. It could also be a hardware issue related to RAM or CPU stability. Also, make sure all windows updates are installed and not sitting as pending. 

Things to try: uninstall drives and NVMe storage controller driver in device manager, restart
    Scan and fix Windows component store: run DISM repair and sfc /scannow
    Scan and fix file system/drive corruption issues: run chkdisk on all drives

Here the repair commands to fix a few potential issues with the OS and drives. Note: Run CMD as admin before entering the following commands.

sfc /scannow
    restart system

If errors were found, run SFC again to validate issues were fixed, if not fixed then run following:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    restart system

Run SFC again to validate issues were fixed

Additionally, run the following for drive scanning:
    chkdsk c: /f /r /x (change c: to d:, e:, f:, etc as needed for the other drives)
    restart

• @The Sabrent Informer The drive is being used as a primary OS drive for Windows 11. I don't see anything within Windows Event Viewer that indicates an issue with any Windows components.

sfc /scannow comes back clean

chldsk comes back clean

Other M.2 drives work fine in this machine when plugged into the same M.2 motherboard slot, when used for the same purpose. I orignally cloned this OS install from my Rocket 4 Plus 2TB to the Rocket 4 Plus G 4TB. The Rocket 4 Plus 2TB had no issues and continues to have no issues.

System Specs
    RAM: 32 GB
    CPU: Ryzen 5950x
    GPU: RTX 3090

• @Ryan Haver It may be a bad or corrupt clone. Testing the drive under other circumstances may be informative to rule that out. If the issue does not resolve when testing beyond that, an RMA is unfortunately recommended.

• It is looking like this issue may have been related to Nvidia drivers and the latest version of Windows 11. I have completed a clean install of the Nvidia drivers and things are working much better now.

• @Ryan Haver Thank you for reporting back. I am sending this along so our technical support team is aware.