EC-SS31 and USB 3.1 Gen. 2

• Hi there,

I have another issue with this adapter. I was benchmarking a little on my system:

EC-SS31 with SSD Verbatim Vi550 S3 (512GB; unformatted/former partitions deleted)
    HD-Tune v2.55
    Mainboard Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi
    BIOS F63c (2022/07/20)
    AMD Chipset drivers v2.09.29.509 (2020/11/05)
    CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    Windows 10 21H2 w/ latest updates

The mainboard has USB 3.1 Gen.1 (blue) and Gen.2 (red) ports at the back panel.

When I connect to the Gen.1 ports, I have a HD tune transfer rate of approx 260 MByte/s, on the Gen.2 ports I got only 38 MByte/s. Similar results with other SSD brand (Samsung).

I even wasn't aware that the blue connectors are USB 3.1 (thought they were 3.0) but a look into device manager showed me this:

snapshot

while the Sabrent adapter was connected to a Gen. 1 port.

Will this be fixed sometime?

Regards

Olaf

• @Ol'Man River You can use a program like USB Device Tree Viewer to check the connection/port speed, SuperSpeed (3.0) as an example, to see if it's falling back to USB2.0 ("High Speed"). Other programs may help in testing performance, like CrystalDiskMark. It may be a compatibility issue which could be solved in various ways, one example would be through a UEFI setting such as for XHCI (auto -> on). I have passed this post on to the team. You can also check the chipset/controller for the EC-SS31 with the program listed above, but it should be an ASM1351.