Recommended max cable length for powered USB-C port (HB-3A4C, USB-C 7-Port 48W Powered Hub)

• Hello all! TLDR: I'm looking for some clarity on what the max length actually is for cables connected to the HB-3A4C's powered port for the purpose of charging and data/video.

Details:

I have a set of new USB 3.2 Gen 2 USB-C to USB-C cables that supposedly support data transfer, video output, and fast charging. The 3ft versions of the cable work when connected to the powered port on my new hub, but the 10ft versions do not -- when connected, both Windows and the phone on the other end accept the connection initially but then the connection severs, reconnects immediately, and repeats this indefinitely until I disable the port or pull the cable out. For reference, these are made by ZeroneTeck. Model # LRDZ002, ASIN B0CH874PDY.

After a cursory search, I found the following comments in a 2024-01-20 cablematters.com blog post:

USB 3.0 and 3.1 Gen 1 cables don’t have an official maximum length, but their recommended maximum is around 2-3 meters in length or around nine feet. Like USB 2.0, you can extend this with a powered USB hub, potentially linking a few together to extend your run, but there are far better solutions for longer USB 3.0 cable runs.

The maximum length for USB 3.0 and 3.1 was maintained into the final USB 3.0 Type-A specification, known as USB 3.2 Gen 2. It was also mirrored in the higher-performing USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Type-C connections, which also had a nine-foot maximum cable length.

However, USB4 cables, which leverage the USB Type-C connector but can transmit data at up to 40 Gbps, only have a maximum recommended cable length of 0.8 meters or around 2.6 feet. That goes for both the existing 40 Gbps cables and the USB4 80Gbps spec cables which will see greater use in the coming years. 

These cables can transmit data at a much greater bandwidth than their USB 3.2 Gen 2.2, or earlier counterparts, which means the cables need to be made of a higher quality to ensure the data is fully transmitted. Unfortunately, that also means signal attenuation is a bigger problem, hence the shorter maximum cable runs for USB4 cables.

I've seen other similar statements made by other sources, and this seems to suggest that my 10ft cables are likely just too long -- at least for this kind of use. But I'm not yet certain that this is actually the issue I'm facing and I'd like to confirm it and/or learn more. (I've been looking for the current USB-IF compliance specifications but haven't yet located the correct document.)

I emailed Support, but I haven't gotten much back from them yet, and I'm wondering if someone here might be able to shed a little more light on this so that I can be more confidant as I embark on my quest to find a longer compatible cable. (3ft is somewhat shorter for what I need.) So any input and/or suggestions from anyone who may happen to know more would be super welcome. Thanks in advance!

• @fitzfrobozz It depends on the quality of the cable since the spec calls for checking voltage drop over any length. The default maximum is 3 meters or just shy of 10 feet. Different speeds and PD will limit this to shorter lengths. For USB-C to USB-C this is 4 meters passive, for USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 on the HB-3A4C it would be ≤2 meters.

• Beyond the Amazon reviews which were mostly positive, I can't say much about the quality of the cables, unfortunately. But am I right in hearing from the above that the 10 foot length makes that moot? Or maybe probably moot? (I have a feeling I may have misunderstood you.)

Oh, shoot, I forgot to include an important detail in the OP:

• Laptop has USB 3.0 type A ports (go ahead, point and laugh at my stoneage rig :D)
    • The hub's cable is connected to the laptop through a USB-C female to USB-A male adapter (60W 20V/3A, 56K ohm self-adaption resistor, AuviPal, ASIN B0BFRL4BJN).

(Also, was about to ask for official/unofficial recommendations for more reliable cables, but then remembered that Sabrent sells cables and figured that's probably where you'd steer me.)

• @fitzfrobozz Hey, we're back from the weekend. Be aware that using adapters can also impact cable performance in addition to cable length and quality. We do sell cables now that are built specifically for charging and have E-Marker chips (CB-C2C2).