SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-2TB on Xiwai 4X NVME M.2 AHCI to PCIE Express 3.0 Gen3 X16 Raid Card

• I am a fan of ROCKET SSD. Started with qty 2 of the 1TB on my primary system (AMD 3970), then upgraded to qty 2 of the 2TB, then upgraded to qty 2 of the 4TB.

What to do with the 1TB and 2TB that are no longer needed on my primary system?

Install them on an old server (SuperMicro 6028U X10DRU-I+). This server however only supports PCIe3. So purchased the Xiewai card that can take 4 nvme m.2 ssd. Set the bifurcation to 4x4x4x4 and installed the Sabrent 2TB SSD.  They did not work.

Purchased a cheap PCIe3 Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB NVMe M.2 and installed on Xiwai card and they do work.

Installed both Sabrent PCIe4 and Samsung PCIe3 and only the Samsung appears.

Also purchased a "Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card for up to Two NVMe SSDs" and repeated the experiment. Again the Rocket PCIe4 did not appear and the Sansung PCIe3 nvme did appear.

I thought PCIe4 would drop to PCIe3?  

• @John Grabner After doing research on this motherboard and checking its manual, I would say that utilizing bifurcation for this purpose is hit or miss and requires some experimentation. We will be selling a similar expansion adapter/card in the future and it basically passes lanes directly without any magic. We test with our own drives and had no issues on compliant boards. Which drives show up depends on the specific bifurcation.